Juxtaposition Arts envisions the youth of North Minneapolis entering the creative workforce as dynamic innovators and problem solvers with the confidence, skills and connections they need to accomplish their educational and professional goals, and to contribute to the revitalization of the communities where they live and work.
Juxtaposition Arts develops community by engaging and employing young urban artists in hands-on education initiatives that create pathways to self-sufficiency while actualizing creative power.
We combine art & design education and youth empowerment with a social-enterprise business model. Students begin with Visual Art Literacy Training (VALT) and then have opportunities to be employed while learning and teaching professional design, production and marketing skills in one of five social-enterprise studios that produce high-quality design products and services for sale to local and national customers.
We believe the integrative problem-solving abilities learned through the hands on creative process of moving from idea, to production, to market are exactly the skills young people need to succeed in school, in work, and in life.
Moreover, we believe sustained participation in community-focused creative expression powerfully advances the development of individuals, communities, and places. At Juxtaposition Arts we strive to:
- Affirm the creative potential and ideas of each person
- Emphasize the importance of discipline, study and practice
- Respect and understand the contributions of those who have come before us
- Include diverse individuals and groups in relevant ways
- Model integrity in individual and organizational leadership
- Demonstrate successful and ethical business practices
- Expect and achieve high standards in everything we do